Computation with Imprecise Probabilities--The Problem of Vera's Age

In large measure, real-world probabilities are imprecise. For this reason, computation with imprecise probabilities is not an academic
exercise--it is a bridge to reality.

Peter Walley's 1991 seminal work "Statistical Reasoning with Imprecise Probabilities" sparked a rapid growth of interest in imprecise probabilities. In a 2002 special issue on imprecise probabilities of the Journal of Statistical Planning and Inference (JSPI), edited by Peter Walley and Jean-Marc Bernard, a number of approaches are described. My paper in this issue, "Toward a Perception-based Theory of Probabilistic Reasoning with Imprecise Probabilities," breaks away from the mainstream. In the perception-based approach, probabilities, events, utilities, relations and constraints are assumed to be described in a natural language.

Can the mainstream approaches deal with problems in which probabilities and everything else are described in a natural language? Here are two relatively simple test problems which fall into this category.

  1. /X/ is a real-valued random variable. My perceptions are:  (a)
     usually /X/ is much larger than approximately /a/;  (b) usually
     /X/ is much smaller than approximately /b/.  What is the expected
     value of /X/?
  2. /X/ is Vera's age. What I know about /X/ is:  (a) Vera has a son
     in mid-twenties; (b) Vera has a daughter in mid-thirties; and (c)
     (world knowledge) mother's age at birth of a child is usually
     between approximately twenty and approximately fourty. Given this
     information, how would you estimate Vera's age?

    Regards to all

           Lotfi

--
Lotfi A. Zadeh