I'll bite.

1. yes
2. no
3. yes
4. yes
5. yes

Rich Neapolitan wrote:
Let's have some fun in this group again instead of just posting about conferences, post docs, and new books, etc. I offer you this quiz about the use of the Bonferroni (or any other) correction:

I have 1,000,000 hypotheses that are not mutually exclusive.

1. I test them all. Do I apply the Bonferroni correction?
2. I plan to test them all, but I run out of resources after testing only one of them. Do I apply the Bonferroni correction? 3. I test one of them, and a year later test the others. Do I apply the Bonferroni correction to the one tested early? If so, when? 4. I only test the first one because that is the one I suspect. Do I apply the Bonferroni correction? 5. I run an algorithm that prunes unlikely hypotheses. I end up testing only 100,000. Do I apply the Bonferroni correction for 100,000 or for 1,000,000 hypotheses.

I have two colleagues who make their living as statisticians, one is a good Bayesian and the other a good frequentist (oxymoron?). They both have different answers, and neither agrees with me. It would be interesting to learn how some of you view this matter.

Best,

Rich

Rich Neapolitan
Professor and Chair of Computer Science