The Department of Electrical Engineering and Automation at the Aalto University
School of Electrical Engineering invites applications for

TENURE-TRACK PROFESSOR IN AUTONOMOUS SYSTEMS AND ROBOTICS

Autonomous operation of machines is increasing rapidly in numerous applications
from autonomous vehicles to service robots. The operational environment of such
systems is complex, such that key subsystems include perception, planning and
control. The operation of autonomous systems requires multiple subsystems to
collaboratively solve complicated tasks by sensing, control, and communication.
 To realize such complex systems one has to understand the underlying interplay
between the physical world and the available computation, communication, and
control resources.

We are seeking outstanding individuals who have demonstrated excellence in
addressing one or more challenges in robotics and autonomous systems. The
excellence may be demonstrated in a particular application area or by
addressing a particular issue in a more general context. We expect the
successful candidate to have demonstrated his/her research results through
experimental verification and/or real-world applications.

As a tenure-track faculty member, you are expected to complement the expertise
of the current faculty by bringing new ideas and perspectives into our
community. You are also expected to teach autonomous systems and robotics
topics, with the typical teaching load of two courses per year.

The position will be filled preferably at the Assistant Professor level but
outstanding Associate or Full Professor level candidates can be considered. The
position will be located at the Aalto University Otaniemi Campus.

We are looking for applicants with:
• a doctorate in robotics, automation, electrical engineering, computer
science, or another applicable field
• a proven ability and passion to carry out high-quality research and publish
in top venues of the discipline
• potential to attract research funding and build up your own research group
• an interest to collaborate with industry
• ability to build a high-level international collaboration network
• motivation to teach at undergraduate and/or graduate levels

We offer
• a tenure track position with promotion to tenured position based on merits
• a competitive benefits package including access to health care
• start-up funding and grant writing support to help you establish your own
group
• excellent collaboration possibilities within the university
• great future in one of the happiest, cleanest and safest countries in the
world, with comprehensive social security system and free education up to
university level

Aalto tenure track

This position belongs to our tenure track system and will be filled primarily
to the assistant professor level but in exceptional cases associate/full
professor level can be considered. The salary is based on Aalto University
salary system, but you can also provide your own salary requests. Getting
tenure and advancement on Aalto tenure track is based on an evaluation of your
achievements and merits against the Aalto tenure track criteria. Please see the
details about the evaluation criteria at
https://www.aalto.fi/services/tenure-track-evaluation-criteria.

Scientific environment

The Department of Electrical Engineering and Automation (EEA) of the Aalto
University School of Electrical Engineering is a community where scientists and
engineers from different fields interact and work together by crossing over
traditional boundaries to solve the most challenging scientific and
technological problems, to provide excellent education and to produce wellbeing
for the society. Research in EEA is organized in four focus areas, power
systems and conversion; control, robotics and autonomous systems; well-being
and smart living environment; industrial electronics and informatics.   Because
of the interdisciplinary nature, the EEA partner network covers a large share
of Finnish and international industries from the energy sector to manufacturing
industries, including many machinery production companies, medical sector,
cities and public organizations, and service providers. There have been several
spin-off companies utilizing the research results.  (http://eea.aalto.fi/en/)

Within autonomous systems and robotics, current lines of research at EEA
include field robotics, robotic instruments, service robotics, factory
automation and networked control.  Aalto is currently establishing a university
wide center for autonomous systems to integrate knowledge across Schools to
create next generation of autonomous systems.

How to apply

Please submit your application latest on August 18, 2019 through our recruiting
system by using the "Apply now!" link below. Please include the following pdf
documents in English
1) cover letter
2) curriculum vitae (with contact information and the ResearcherID number)
3) the list of publications (in which the five most significant publications
highlighted and your role in them described)
4) a research statement describing past research and plans for the future
research
5) a teaching portfolio describing teaching experience and plans for teaching
6) the list of referees, with contact information

General instructions for applicants including language requirements and
guidelines for compiling the teaching portfolio and CV are at
https://www.aalto.fi/tenure-track/interested-in-joining-our-tenure-track

More information

If you wish to hear more about the position or us, please contact Professor
Jorma Kyyrä, jorma.kyyra(at)aalto.fi. In case you have questions related to the
recruitment process, please contact HR Coordinator Jaana Hänninen,
jaana.hanninen(at)aalto.fi.

Aalto University reserves the right for justified reasons to leave the position
open or to extend the application period.

About Aalto University, Helsinki and Finnish society

At Aalto, high-quality research, art, education and entrepreneurship are
promoted hand in hand. Disciplinary excellence is combined with
multidisciplinary activities, engaging both students and the local innovation
ecosystem. Our main campus is quickly transforming into an open collaboration
hub that encourages encounters between students, researchers, industry,
startups and other partners. Aalto University was founded in 2010 as three
leading Finnish universities, Helsinki University of Technology, the Helsinki
School of Economics and the University of Art and Design Helsinki, were merged
to strengthen Finland’s innovative capability.

The greater Helsinki region is a world-class information technology complex,
attracting leading scientists and researchers in various fields of electrical
engineering. As a living and working environment, Finland consistently ranks
high in quality of life, and Helsinki, the capital of Finland, is regularly
ranked as one of the most livable cities in the world.

Finns are proud to say that we have one of the best education systems in the
world. The Nordic values of equality and co-operation are deeply rooted in our
society. We are one of the world’s top countries in happiness, clean air and
nature, press freedom and consider the many voices in our society a strength.
With high investments in R&D, a strong innovation culture, open data and
advanced state of digitalization, we are a nation of innovation and
entrepreneurship. Gender equality, flexibility and the low hierarchy are at the
core of our Nordic working environment. Having four seasons, clean air and
thousands of lakes, we are nature-loving people who take good care of our
unique environment.