Location: Cardiff, UK
Deadline for applications: 5th January 2022
Start date: 1st May 2022 (or as soon as possible thereafter)
Duration: 30 months
reasoning

Details about the post
Applications are invited for a postdoctoral research associate post to work on
the EPSRC Open Fellowship project ReStoRe (Reasoning about Structured Story
Representations), which is focused on story-level language understanding. The
aim of this post is to develop methods for learning graph-structured
representations of stories, where nodes correspond to entities and events, and
edges indicate relationships. More specifically, the focus will be on learning
sparse and interpretable vector representations of these entities, events and
relationships. These vector representations will then form the basis for
implementing common sense reasoning strategies, allowing us to fill the gap
between what is explicitly stated in a story and what a human reader would
infer by “reading between the lines”. More details about the post and
instructions on how to apply are available here:

https://krb-sjobs.brassring.com/TGnewUI/Search/home/HomeWithPreLoad?partnerid=30011&siteid=5460&PageType=JobDetails&jobid=1897761

Background about the ReStoRe project
When we read a story as a human, we build up a mental model of what is
described. Such mental models are crucial for reading comprehension. They allow
us to relate the story to our earlier experiences, to make inferences that
require combining information from different sentences, and to interpret
ambiguous sentences correctly. Crucially, mental models capture more
information than what is literally mentioned in the story. They are
representations of the situations that are described, rather than the text
itself, and they are constructed by combining the story text with our
commonsense understanding of how the world works.

The field of Natural Language Processing (NLP) has made rapid progress in the
last few years, but the focus has largely been on sentence-level
representations. Stories, such as news articles, social media posts or medical
case reports, are essentially modelled as collections of sentences. As a
result, current systems struggle with the ambiguity of language, since the
correct interpretation of a word or sentence can often only be inferred by
taking its broader story context into account. They are also severely limited
in their ability to solve problems where information from different sentences
needs to be combined. As a final example, current systems struggle to identify
correspondences between related stories (e.g. different news articles about the
same event), especially if they are written from a different perspective.

To address these fundamental challenges, we need a method to learn story-level
representations that can act as an analogue to mental models. Intuitively,
there are two steps involved in learning such story representations: first we
need to model what is literally mentioned in the story, and then we need some
form of commonsense reasoning to fill in the gaps. In practice, however, these
two steps are closely interrelated: interpreting what is mentioned in the story
requires a model of the story context, but constructing this model requires an
interpretation of what is mentioned.

The solution that is proposed in this fellowship is based on representations
called story graphs. These story graphs encode the events that occur, the
entities involved, and the relationships that hold between these entities and
events. A story can then be viewed as an incomplete specification of a story
graph, similar to how a symbolic knowledge base corresponds to an incomplete
specification of a possible world. The proposed framework will allow us to
reason about textual information in a principled way. It will lead to
significant improvements in NLP tasks where a commonsense understanding is
required of the situations that are described, or where information from
multiple sentences or documents needs to be combined. It will furthermore
enable a step change in applications that directly rely on structured text
representations, such as situational understanding, information retrieval
systems for the legal, medical and news domains, and tools for inferring
business insights from news stories and social media feeds.