Hello,
When going through all the commands to convert them to parser 2 /
overlord-verbs style, I noticed there are some commands in our standard
feeds which are:
1. implemented in a really hacky way, and/or
2. not well maintained, and/or
3. seldom used, and/or
4. using an interface pattern that is wildly inconsistent with the rest of
Ubiquity

I propose we take some of these commands out of the standard feeds, for
now.  They don't have to be gone forever; they can be moved to optional
feeds, which users can choose to subscribe to, until such time as they get
some love and attention from developers to bring them up to standards.

I think that including a command in the standard feeds should be, if not a
guarantee, at least a vote of confidence from us that the command
implementation is high quality and the interface is consistent with the rest
of Ubiquity.  I think the release will be a better product if there are
slightly fewer commands together with a greater average level of polish on
those commands.

Commands that I nominate for un-inclusion are:

* The entire image-editing command feed.  (Feels like it needs a rethink and
some major design work in order to present a good interface)
* "convert text to format".  (I don't think I've ever seen it actually work)
* "map these"  (it was a proof-of-concept, demoware if you will, and I'm
pretty sure it only works on Craigslist.)
* "ask rypple" (It uses a very un-ubiquity-like interface, with magic
characters to specify its arguments, and besides it is available here:
http://www.rypple.com/ubiquity/ask.html )
* "sparkline" (It's cool, but I don't think anybody knows what it's for,
other than an interesting demo)

Remember, I'm not proposing they be destroyed -- just moved out to optional
feeds.

Does anybody disagree, and think one or more of these commands should be
kept in the default feeds?  If so, will anyone offer to work on that command
to hep bring it up to speed?

Are there other commands people think should be un-included?

Thanks for your input,
--Jono, Mozilla Labs

--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"ubiquity-firefox" group.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected]
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
[email protected]
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/ubiquity-firefox?hl=en
-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---

Reply via email to