What is the extension for the file you downloaded?  Is it something
along the lines of .tar.gz? It could be that you downloaded the source code.

I'm not sure how stable Firefox 3 is though, as I have not yet tested it
myself.  I only know that it is still in alpha testing.

If you have download the source code, you would have to compile it using
the build-essential package and any necessary libraries which the code
requires.