Hi,

Maybe that I should add a few words for the pointer only users.

(In the following, "pointer users" means users that are able to move the
pointer in any direction, but that are not able to perform any input
with a hardware keyboard.)

a) For pointer users able to click, karmic provides a system that they
can use out of the box.

- GDM has been patched so that it starts onboard as the onscreen
keyboard. (onboard is the onscreen keyboard shipping with ubuntu already
for several releases)

- Onboard is also available in the GNOME session and its desktop icons
are in the Universal Access menu. However, this menu and the desktop
icons are hidden on a default Ubuntu a installation; but it is possible
to use the Main Menu control panel to make them appear.

So, a default Ubuntu Karmic installation can be used by these users
without help from anybody.

b) For pointer users not able to click, karmic is also usable, but only
after a person able to click has performed a few configurations needed
by these users.

Fortunately, Ubuntu (to be more precise, it is already shipped in GNOME)
ships by default an accessibility tool called mousetweaks that allows
these users to perform pointer clicks by software.

- GDM is not accessible for pointer users that cannot click.

A person with administrative privileges can set up GDM to launch
mousetweaks in conjunction with onboard. Instructions about how to do it
can be found in the Help of GDM.

Remarks:
-- I don't know whether Assistive Technology is running in GDM on a
system out of the box. As mousetweaks requires Assistive Technology, GDM
has to be configuration configuration configured to run it if it is not
already the case. Instructions about how to do it can be found in the
Help of GDM.
-- These users must never deactivate the onscreen keyboard in GDM,
because it will also deactivate dwelling and they will not be able to
reactivate it without the help of another person.

- The GNOME session is also not accessible for these people out of the
box, but the solution is simple: Assistive Technology has to be
activated for the GNOME session and the dwell click applet has to be
installed on the GNOME panel.

Once this has been done, the GNOME session becomes accessible also for
pointer users that are not able to click.

There is however a bug that has to be mentioned: In fact, there is an
incompatibility between gksu and Assistive Technology. For example, if
you open the Synaptic Package Manager, the gksu dialog for
authentication appears. After entering the password, the desktop begins
to become a bit irresponsive. To make the desktop fully responsive
again, the user has to kill the gksu process in the dialog. To not get
into this situation, a work around is to call the applications that use
gksu directly from the terminal with sudo. (The authentication dialog of
policykit does not have this problem.)

Cheers

Francesco