I have a Dell laptop (older). I have been upgrading it since something like Ubuntu 704 so it has been around awhile. It has developed a problem since the upgrade to 11.10. For some reason it has stopped runnig any of the GUIs. Primarily it seems to be a problem with nautilus blowing up regularily. Is there some way to remove everything and fix this? I don't really want to rebuild everything from scratch as I don't want to remember everything I had not to mention figure our where to back up everything so I don't loose things like my posfix settings and others I may not remember after all this time.

Tom