According to Krishnakant Mane:
# Still no confirmation for my query on some thing similar to Heads up
# display?
# Is such a feature there in Gnome 3.6?

I believe you are referring to the menu for your current application
window that is available in Unity? Yes, GNOME-shell has this also, and
3.8 is an improvement of this feature over 3.6 even, with better
integration of default applications. However, it seems that the
transition is going a bit more slowly than it did in Unity. Many
applications only have "Quit" up there. So far, it seems that Nautilus
and possibly the terminal have done the most transition work there. It
is to be expected that the applications that ship with GNOME will have
made this transition more quickly and smoothly than other applications
at this time. I am hoping this is maybe a freedesktop specification,
however, so other applications will likely follow if this is the case.
If you are referring to something different, ignore what I just wrote
and indicate the specific features you need or behaviors you are expecting.

# Also, I wish to know from all the eminent list members, is Gnome shell
# the right path to go for a long terms solution?

I would definitely say yes at this point, especially since it is more
widely used by virtue of the fact that it is available in more distros.
Unity, although free software, is still primarily developed by
Canonical, and is not included by default in any distro other than
standard Ubuntu, meaning that overall, less resources are available for
development at this time.

# Is it any faster in performance as compared to Unity?

I can't speak specifically to performance, since the only times I have
used Unity recently have been on a very old machine and a virtual
machine that had half my physical resources allocated to it. It seems a
tiny bit less responsive to me, but that is to be expected given the
circumstances. I haven't tested it on recent bare metal. Having said
this, even if Unity and gnome-shell are exactly the same in terms of
actual performance on hardware, I find gnome-shell to be faster from a
productivity standpoint. I believe this is an opinion based on personal
preference, but I seem to be able to navigate faster and do more in less
time with gnome-shell than I could with Unity, and 3.8 has made a major
improvement in that regard.
~Kyle
http://kyle.tk/
--