I'm confused by your message. Are you trying to set up your swap or create the partition where you want to install Ubuntu?

If you want to create the partition where you want to install Ubuntu then use like 38G of the 40G of free space and mount it at /. After that, go back in and select that 2G of free space you didn't use and mount that as swap. As long as you review everything you do and don't touch sda1, you should be fine.