When making isos, you supply a trunk directory ending with the slash character and understand all subdirectories below that trunk directory will be included in that iso. I've never tried that with dd. I've used a cdburn script that was put up on the speakup e-mail list several years ago to make isos.

This may help I was trying for script improvements and I hope I cleaned all of the errors I made out of it for you:

#!/usr/bin/env bash
# file: cdburn - General-purpose CD burner script using cdrecord and mkisofs
notes() {
echo "0) edit dev on line 35 to point to cdrom"
echo "1) recursive copying copies all of typed directory and everything"
echo "below that typed directory into an iso image you have been warned."
echo "2) before choosing 2 on menu put disk in burner."
echo "works better that way."
echo "3) tab key works in script same as at bash prompt."
echo "4) enter anything but (1, 2, n, or x) on menu gets immediate bash prompt."
echo -e "\a\c"
echo "hit enter to return to menu->"
read CHOICE
}

make_iso1() {
echo
echo -n "Enter name of top directory for recursive copying: "
read INPUT
echo -n "Enter name of ISO file image: "
read ISOFILE
echo -n "Enter volume label: "
read VOLID
sync
sync
    sudo -H genisoimage -v -r -J -V $VOLID -o $ISOFILE $INPUT
echo -e "\a\c"
echo "hit enter to return to menu->"
read CHOICE
}

write_data1() {
echo -n "Enter name of ISO file: "
read ISOFILE
sync
sync
sudo -H wodim -v -sao fs=8m $ISOFILE
sync
sync
]; fi
eject
echo -e "\a\c"
echo "hit enter to return to menu->"
read CHOICE
}
bail() {
    echo ""
        echo "Exitting CD burner script!"
exit 0
}
# Main portion
CHOICE=""
while [ "$CHOICE" = "" ] ; do
    echo "CD Burner Main Menu"
    echo ""
    echo "1 - Build ISO image for single session CD"
    echo "2 - Burn a single session data CD"
echo "n - read notes"
    echo "X - Exit"
    echo ""
    echo -n "Enter choice: "