Try doing it from tjhe command line.
You need more than the core pkgs to get all the configuration goodies for mate
as I recall. You really need the mate extras or what ever that group is
called on Ubuntu. System resources are not going to be gobbled by adding the
extras.
To change language from the command line in Ubuntu and friends you must first
install the packages required for the language support, and then select a
language from the availble languages.
I wrote an article a couple or three years ago for the Vinux Wiki that deals
with this.
http://wiki.vinuxproject.org/language_support
If you still have questions then write back.

I see there are some typos in the article, will try and fix them soon, and a
couple things appear to have been left out.
You can check for all missing language packs with
check-language-support -l es
And if you are happy with what is offered can run
check-language-support -l es | xargs sudo apt-get install -y
to install them all.
The -y on the end was not required before, but when I tried to run with out it
on my vinux5 box right now the install aborted for some reason. You can
just try it with out the -y, and if all works as it used to for me you can
decide whether or not to continue by pressing y.
The es in the command is foer spanish, change for the language of your choice
of course.
Read the aereticle for more info, and check back in a few days if you still see
a few typos as      I will be fixing it up a bit.

--
     B.H.
   Registerd Linux User 521886

  mattias wrote: