Hi,
After I installed Ubuntu 16.04.3 with the help of Orca I got speech in the login screen. Be sure you have sound in the login screen. If you heard the drums than it' OK. On some hardware I noticed the sound was muted or too low. Maybe you can try Alt_Super_S or activate the screen reader in the Ubuntu menu in the top right corner of the screen. If I remember right press Alt_F10 then richt arrow once and up arrow once, then press Enter.
Milton