Hi Daniel,

When this has happened to me I usually find that removing or renaming the .config/pulse directory in my home folder is enough to reset everything.

Can you SSH into the machine from somewhere else, or log in as a different user?

I have learned to have a second user account set up so that if I mess up the sound on my main user I can still log in with sound to sort things out.

I guess you could boot off the live DVD, open up a terminal session and rename the /home/<username>/.config/pulse directory and see if that helps.

Regards,

Nick