In /etc/default/grub remove splash from line 10.  In /etc/default/grub
change "" to "3" in line 11.  In line 19 of /etc/default/grub uncomment
line.  In line 33 of /etc/default/grub uncomment line.  Then run
grub-update.
Beyond that apt install espeakup speakup-tools.  Then as root systemctl
enable espeakup.service.  Then reboot.  To get to graphical interface
run telinit 5.  Need to reboot to get back to console login.

Unfortunately my friend is a real picnics special and does things I do
not tell him to do.
He has no ubuntu iso disk and now no way to get one since he used cursor
keys when editing /etc/default/grub.  We were using ex not pluma since
it's more reliable.

On Thu, 19 Mar 2020, Andy Borka wrote:
This is not the first picnics problem either.  When trying a slint install
he turned off the computer since he got a call from his mother and lost
computer access for a year and a half.