Hello,

that's problem of Gnome, not Ubuntu itself. If you install Ubuntu Mate, you don't need monitor. I don't know why it is, but I've read on Raspberry VI list, there is some adapter, what you plug to your HDMI port and into it 3,5 mm jack and after that, system will think you have monitor and all will be without problem.

Vojta.