That's odd.  Usually language selection uses two color sets one different
from all others on one of the choices.  The other thing language selection
usually does which I find far more accessible is to place sets of brackets
left of each item one of which contains a star and the rest contain
blanks.  The one with the star is the selected language.  To move the
current language use the up and down arrow keys but those only move the
highlight.  To select press the spacebar.