On Wed, 2007-12-26 at 00:27 +0100, julian wrote:

> then so be it. i strongly believe Ubuntu artwork development needs to
> follow the same consensual process as any other aspect of the project's
> development: users needs to be able to report what they consider 'bugs'
> in the art and design aspects and feel they are being heard. we respond
> to those bugs by coming up with working solution. ideally they get on
> board and help out.

It's a new idea to me that everything runs on bug reports. What about
blueprints and the sprints and summits? Regarding "consensual" - ever
heard of the Self Appointed Benevolent Dictator for Life? ;)

What would you do with a "I don't like that colour" bug, anyway?
Change that colour and have the same report from someone else?

> if the bulk of users simply don't like brown - which is the fairly
> clearly the case - then you have a choice to either listen to the users
> and invite them to submit alternative designs or choose the same
> semi-closed myopic design-agenda the art currently has.

There also have been many saying that Ubuntu should stay away from blue.
Cool, let's rule out brown and blue!

> Ken is approaching all this with real clarity i think: not too big to
> ignore the fact that if one wildly impossible mockup on a forum by a
> non-list-member receives 19 pages of praise, it deserves consideration
> and consequent feasible response.

What exactly would there be to consider, regarding that mockup?
I thought a "bulk of users simply don't like brown"?
You call it "wildly impossible" yourself.
Not to forget that it shows no windows, no widgets. It's easy to do a
clean and consistent design if you leave everything out.

> this approach has worked brilliantly for other aspects of the Ubuntu
> project and there's no reason it can't work as well here. comparing
> Apple's design agenda to that of Ubuntu is absurd: this is a volunteer
> project remember, made by people for people. two fish with vastly
> different budgets and histories.

Somewhat true. But should we aim low because of that?

--
Thorsten Wilms

thorwil's design for free software:
http://thorwil.wordpress.com/