On Wed, 2008-09-24 at 11:26 -0400, Vadim Peretokin wrote:

Please start new threads for new issues ;)

> How will you go about copyright?

The Wiki text is Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3-0, I'm the
sole author so far (although Troy Sobotka had influence on the wording
and many a thought) and if anyone sees a problem there, I'm all ears.

> I see Tango icons being used in a lot of places (commercial and no
> commercial) with zero credit whatsoever (or, at best, a COPYRIGHT file
> hidden away in some svn trunk, and not even displayed in the instance
> of).

They are changing the license to Public Domain ...

Tango is made to be neutral. Whatever we come up with has to and will be
associated with Ubuntu. Once the connection is there, people could use
parts of the work elsewhere and it wouldn't matter much.

A theme would be licensed like other have been. I see community-themes
is on CC-BY-SA 2.5. I guess one could use GPL.

> Not that it's a bad thing, but if the copyright was clearly assigned
> to the project, then the project would get a lot more recognition
> about it.

I don't think you can assign copyright to a project with no legal
underpinnings. Likely would need to be a foundation. Shared authorship
works for the Linux kernel, it will work for us.

Other opinions on this?

--
Thorsten Wilms

thorwil's design for free software: