The process of manually taking screenshots, saving them, naming them,
launching the command with the needed parameters seemed too manual to me, so
I wrote a small shell script which does it all automatically.
After running it waits for 3 seconds, then does all described actions for
extract-background-context command, restores your previous settings and
cleans up the temporary screenshots. It works only for GNOME, can be ported
to other DEs if anyone tells me how to change wallpapers there.
I can automate the whole process like this, add GUI dialogs etc. if desired.

Respectfully,
--
Sergey "Shnatsel" Davidoff