That should read phono to usb converter:-)

Cary Bielenberg <c...@bielenberg.id.au> wrote ..

I found a phone to usb converter on ebay & that way I use my "real" turntable.
Of course it just worked with Audacity in Karmic & Lucid.

Cary BTW did you know there is a resurgence of Vinyl? In the last month I have
bought about a dozen latest or last 12 month release on 180g vinyl.

Jared Norris <jrnor...@gmail.com> wrote ..    On 24 April 2010 18:20, Ferdinand
Lehnard <ferdinand.lehn...@web.de> wrote:   Hi mates,  I just would like to
inform you that ALDI (NSW) had last week a USB turntable (record player) in
their shops which is usable to copy your old records onto CD. The most
surprising stuff was that the software package delivered was Audacity. Seeing
this I thought, that could be something for my UBUNTU machine and just bought
it even it was no mentioning of LINUX on the package.  Today I tried it and
worked out of the box, I was not even forced to load the Installation CD. All
you need is AUDACITY. I am using still UBUNTU 8.04 just for your info.
find the device itself? My parents recently bought a device similar to that
from the catchoftheday (I realise you can get high quality ones for hundred
 s of dollars, this one was 60 - 80 ish from memory). Unfortunately the device
skipped across the records so badly they threw it out after ruining one of
their records. Upon seeing it had installed audacity I advised them it would be
cheaper to purchase an RCA to 3.5mm Stereo lead and just play it using the high
quality record player they already own using the lead to the line in on their
onboard sound card. They haven't had a chance to try this yet but I was curious
to see what your experience was like. Regards,Jared Norris