Thanks Daniel, Tried installing putty (which I now remember using a long time ago) but was denied because it was unable to lock admin directory /var/lib/dpkg/. However I found two versions of this terminal emulator in Ubuntu Software and installed one of them. I shall see how I go from here.

Geoffrey

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject:        Re: Serial terminal to read GPS data for Linux
Date:   Sun, 29 Oct 2017 14:09:01 +1100
From:   Daniel Jitnah <djit...@greenwareit.com.au>
To:     Geoffrey Combes <gcomb...@bigpond.com>

Try putty.

(apt-get install putty in Ubuntu)

On 29/10/17 13:49, Geoffrey Combes wrote:
I have purchased a GPS module which I can link to my PC (Ubuntu) using a
TTL to GPS converter (which I have). I need a serial terminal for Ubuntu
that can read GPS data including any necessary details on configuration
method if required. I am working on several GPS projects and wish to
confirm that data is being received by reading directly from the GPS
module.

Ubuntu Software does not have one as far as I can tell. Some are
mentioned on the Internet (Python type). And I know of one that is used
with MS Windows that I could use as my laptop has Windows 10. However I
wondered if anyone from the Ubuntu AU community know of such a serial
terminal for Linux and perhaps have used it to read GPS data.

Geoffrey  Combes