This replies to queries from Daniel. I have been busy talking to Telstra about this issue. More  on that later in this message.

IP address: The address of the new modem is 192.168.1.1, a common one and the same as the previous Telstra modem.

Firewall, subnets:  I have no information on the modem's settings, nor can I reconfigure it, at least not without instruction on how to gain access to do so. It makes no sense to incorporate blocks of any kind.

Driver: OK, none required.

Ethernet connection: I have listed all the USB port info. When the modem is connected to my PC using a USB port nothing show up. I have been unable to see information on the ethernet single ethernet port on the PC.

Now back to Telstra. After lengthy discussion on line Telstra gave up and advised that the modem cannot be wire-connected to my PC. They say that it is a WiFi-only modem. I don't believe that but for the present I must accept that as true and proceed with making my PC WiFi-enabled, using a USB adaptor. I have a Realtek adaptor with aerial but Ubuntu doesn't recognise it. Ubuntu website has some recommendations on compatible adaptors, all with high price tags given what they are. I have ordered (on line) two adaptors both alleged to be compatible with Linux. One cost $2 (no antenna), the other cost $20 (with antenna providing a little gain. I'm hoping that at least one of them works plug-n-play as they claim. My home will therefore make Internet connections via WiFi only, which should be OK.

That is the state of play. Thank you Daniel and others. No more questions from me.

Geoffrey Combes