Hi folks,

I’m hoping you could guess at what’s going wrong with my upgrade attempts.

I have run Ubuntu on an old laptop with an internal optical drive for years and
have in the past installed new LTSs via the ISO burned onto a DVD-R. For LTS
18.04 I used a rewritable DVD, and have never before had a problem with the
internet wireless connection working right from the start.

Last week I decided to move up from 18.04 and tried the online Upgrade option
for the first time (instead of a clean install from a live disk). The upgrade
to 20.04 LTS completed, but I had no internet connection. I googled this and
saw info about something called Netplan and about a yaml file, but the coding
changes looked too complicated for me.

So yesterday I burnt the 22.04 LTS ISO onto a brand-new rewritable DVD and
tried to do a clean install, held down F12 at start up, chose the optical
drive, selected “Try or Install Ubuntu”, and let it do its thing. After a while
the screen displayed a long list of actions that had taken place, each starting
with things like
[ OK ] started…
[ OK ] finished…
[ OK ] reached…
Etc
But it stopped at:
“Failed to start Snap Daemon”
and below that
“Failed to start Ubuntu live CD installer”

I tried again a few times, but it continued to get stuck there.

I then took out the installer DVD and rebooted the laptop, and 20.04 LTS opened
up, this time with the Internet connection, which was a surprise! I used the
Internet via the laptop for an hour or so, thought “That’s fixed then!” and
then shut down the laptop for the evening.

This morning I booted up again and it started 20.04 again but the Internet
connection was gone again.
I tried installing 22.04 from the DVD again, but it got stuck again (the drive
and the DVD clicking away), with the difference this time that it didn’t report
Snap Daemon as failed, it only reported that it couldn’t start the live CD
installer.

I removed the DVD, restarted and 20.04 opened up, with the wireless connection
working again…!?!
The wireless connection remained in place during the day even if I shut down
the laptop and removed the mains power, and waited a few hours before starting
the laptop again, Internet connection still in place. But when I shut down the
laptop for the night, the next morning the Internet connection is gone again
when I start up the laptop.
Do you have any ideas about what is happening, and what I could do to get 22.04
installing from the ISO on the DVD?

It’d be a bit inconvenient to have to run a failed live install from the DVD
each time I want to access the Internet from 20.04 !

Or do you suggest that I try (when the connection is there after a failed DVD
install session) to do the online upgrade from 20.04 to 22.04? I am just
worried that I may get the same result, no Internet at the end of it, and I
always assumed in the past that a clean new install was better than upgrading
the old version online…

Thanks for your time if you’ve read down to here!

Dave