Thanks buddy!
It solved!

Thanks to all who participated. I thanked Russell Bhai over phone just now.

The problem was as the sutdown button was depressed, it caused some
damages to the filesystem. And it failed with X Server at first. Was
failing fscheck inside linux also.
Then I tried with the BIOS's memcheck and HDD integrity check.

Then the recovery worked (before recovery was failing with fatal errors).

After this I was being able to see the login screen.

That means the /tmp was not writable, so it couldn't bring up the desktop.

et voila!

On 2/10/09, tanjir <orko_...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Try

 sudo chmod a+w /tmp