Hello ubuntu-be

A couple weeks ago I’ve sent an e-mail with the idea that we can print our
own t-shirts. They will be cheaper than the t-shirts ordered from the
canonical (ubuntu) shop, and we’ll be able to choose the print ourselves.

Everyone I’ve told about this, on the IRC-meeting and in the mailing list,
was very positive about the idea. We also agreed that the t-shirts should be
both eco-friendly and fair-trade. JanC and I have done some research about
that, and we found out that Earth Positive t-shirts are probably the best
choice. Those t-shirts are a little more expensive compared to other
branches like Fruit of the Loom, but we will still be able to sell them for
€10 / t-shirt (we sell the t-shirts from the ubuntu store for about €13 -
€20).

There are a couple more things to be done before the t-shirts can be
ordered. First of all we need a good design to print on the t-shirts, that’s
why we need your help. You can send your ideas and your designs to the
mailinglist, later we'll open a wiki page to show al the designs, and to
choose one.

Here are some important things to keep in mind when designing:

   - You can choose the background color from this list:
   http://www.cotton-shirts.eu/typo3temp/pics/EP02_complete_1_f0ee92a4ef.jpg,
for men’s t-shirts there are some more choices:
   http://www.cotton-shirts.eu/typo3temp/pics/EP01_complete_622f2a8927.jpg ,
   but it’s best to have to same color for all the t-shirts.

   - The less colors you use, the lower the price (max 5 different colors),
   the better. If you want to use light colors on a dark background, you should
   count one more color.

   - If you know how to use inkscape, or another vector graphics editor,
   please use it! If you don’t know how to use it I, or someone else, can
   convert it to a vectorial image if your design is the best. If you’ve got a
   lot of creativity, but don’t know how to work with any image-editing
   software you can always share your ideas, and maybe someone else can do
   something with it.

   - You can use the ubuntu-be logo in the design, but if we also want to
   sell the t-shirts at fosdem to foreign visitors, maybe it’s better not to do
   so. This way we can also ask neighbour  countries if they are interested to
   participate. The more t-shirts we buy, the cheaper the price / t-shirt.

It’s not 100% sure yet the t-shirts will be printed, but  a good design will
help to make it easier to decide. The biggest question we’ve got is where to
get the money to buy the t-shirts. It will cost us about €600 to buy 100,
and that’s a lot of money. We are quite sure t-shirts at a good price with a
good design will sell, definitely if we promote them a bit, but we have to
pay them first.

If you’ve got some ideas let us know!

Ward De Ridder