Public bug reported:

I'm using Ubuntu 13.04 dev and have noticed a high cpu overhead if a
process is using multiple threads and computing them on different
threads. To measure this I have written a little script in Python which
I will attach.

The script will create 2 threads which are using only a little time of a
cpu core. On my AMD Phenom II X6 1045T the Linux kernel will assign the
2 threads on 2 cores which will use a total cpu time of 40% from a
maximum of 600%. But if I'm using "taskset -ap 0x00000001 pid_of_script"
the 2 threads will be assigned to 1 core and the total cpu usage will be
only 25% from 600%.

I'm wondering why there is a cpu overhead of 60% if the Linux kernel is
using 2 cores instead of 1 core.

** Affects: linux (Ubuntu)
     Importance: Undecided
         Status: New

** Attachment added: "threads.py"
   https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1073148/+attachment/3418558/+files/threads.py

-- 
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu
Bugs, which is subscribed to Ubuntu.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1073148

Title:
  High cpu overhead on using multiple cores

To manage notifications about this bug go to:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1073148/+subscriptions

-- 
ubuntu-bugs mailing list
[email protected]
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-bugs

Reply via email to