Thank you for responding. To Answer your questions:
1. I have two external drives, sdb and sdc, in USB 3 Orico enclosure. The
drives are mirrored.
2. Atom D525 with 4GiB RAM. The attached screenshot shows "vmstat 5 5" output
while VLC is playing a movie. It shows 1.5GiB of free memory, no swap used.
3. Screenshot also shows output from "iostat -mx", and that I manually set
the spl_kmem_cache_slab_limit to zero as suggested.
I played a movie which paused repeatedly for 30 seconds and one time
for several minutes. When the pause occurs, VLC is completely hung until
the requested I/O completes. The end of pause is heralded by the I/O
activity LED on the drive enclosure.
I want to emphasize/re-iterate a couple of points from my original post:
1. This is not a VLC problem. I can recreate the problem with any app (cp,
rsyn, etc) that reads sequentially from the ZFS file system.
2. I do not believe this is a drive/latency problem: I can dd the content of
sdb and sdc (to /dev/null) without any hang.
** Attachment added: "spl_kmem_cache_slab_limit, vmstat, and iostat -mx"
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu
Bugs, which is subscribed to Ubuntu.
zfs frequently hangs (up to 30 secs) during sequential read
To manage notifications about this bug go to:
ubuntu-bugs mailing list