Thanks Vladimir, I appreciate the work you've put into this.

Cheers... Mike
--
-----------------------------------------------------
Mike Bremford - CTO                   [email protected]
Big Faceless Organization             http://bfo.com


On Thu, 24 Sept 2026 at 21:31, Vladimir Petko <[email protected]>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I apologise for the delay.
>
> I have added upstream patches to openjdk-25 that resolve the issue, the
> fix will be available with the October security release.
> Meanwhile -Dsun.font.layout.ffm=false can be used to workaround the bug.
>
>
> Best Regards,
>  Vladimir.
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to the bug
> report.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/2155650
>
> Title:
>   OpenJDK 25.0.2 SEGV in harfbuzz library on Ubuntu 22.04
>
> Status in openjdk-25 package in Ubuntu:
>   In Progress
>
> Bug description:
>   I am repeatedly seeing a SEGV from OpenJDK Runtime Environment
>   (25.0.2+10) (build 25.0.2+10-Ubuntu-122.04) while running Tomcat,
>   sometimes several a day. This is a new thing after upgrading to this
>   version of the OpenJDK (from version 21.x)
>
>   I've been running with "LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-
>   gnu/libjemalloc.so.2", but after switching to "libtcmalloc.so.2" it is
>   still crashing with an identical trace. It does seem to work with the
>   GlibC allocator but that will eventually run out of memory, and other
>   JDKs (eg GraalVM) seem to be be fine with any allocation library.
>
>   Every crash leaves me with a trace that begins with the following
>   frames
>
>   Current thread (0x00007f1b04f41400):  JavaThread "http-
>   nio-8080-exec-4" daemon [_thread_in_native, id=456365,
>   stack(0x00007f1ac2d00000,0x00007f1ac2e00000) (1024K)]
>
>   Stack: [0x00007f1ac2d00000,0x00007f1ac2e00000],  sp=0x00007f1ac2dfa3b0,
> free space=1000k
>   Native frames: (J=compiled Java code, j=interpreted, Vv=VM code,
> C=native code)
>   C  [libjemalloc.so.2+0x11942]
>   Java frames: (J=compiled Java code, j=interpreted, Vv=VM code)
>   v  ~RuntimeStub::nep_invoker_blob 0x00007f1b103c59e8
>   j
> java.lang.invoke.LambdaForm$MH+0x000000001a7c4400.invoke(Ljava/lang/Object;JFJJJIIIIIFFIIJJ)V+38
> [email protected]
>   j
> java.lang.invoke.LambdaForm$MH+0x000000001a7dfc00.invokeExact_MT(Ljava/lang/Object;JFJJJIIIIIFFIIJJLjava/lang/Object;)V+49
> [email protected]
>   j
> jdk.internal.foreign.abi.DowncallStub+0x000000001a7c4800.invoke(Ljava/lang/foreign/SegmentAllocator;Ljava/lang/foreign/MemorySegment;FLjava/lang/foreign/MemorySegment;Ljava/lang/foreign/MemorySegment;Ljava/lang/foreign/MemorySegment;IIIIIFFIILjava/lang/foreign/MemorySegment;Ljava/lang/foreign/MemorySegment;)V+317
> [email protected]
>   j
> java.lang.invoke.LambdaForm$DMH+0x000000001a7c5000.invokeStaticInit(Ljava/lang/Object;Ljava/lang/Object;Ljava/lang/Object;FLjava/lang/Object;Ljava/lang/Object;Ljava/lang/Object;IIIIIFFIILjava/lang/Object;Ljava/lang/Object;)V+42
> [email protected]
>   j
> java.lang.invoke.LambdaForm$MH+0x000000001a7c6800.invoke(Ljava/lang/Object;FLjava/lang/Object;Ljava/lang/Object;Ljava/lang/Object;IIIIIFFIILjava/lang/Object;Ljava/lang/Object;)V+75
> [email protected]
>   j
> java.lang.invoke.LambdaForm$MH+0x000000001a7df400.invokeExact_MT(Ljava/lang/Object;FLjava/lang/Object;Ljava/lang/Object;Ljava/lang/Object;IIIIIFFIILjava/lang/Object;Ljava/lang/Object;Ljava/lang/Object;)V+46
> [email protected]
>   j
> sun.font.HBShaper.lambda$shape$0(Ljava/awt/geom/Point2D$Float;[F[CFLjava/lang/foreign/MemorySegment;IIIIII)V+79
> [email protected]
>   j  sun.font.HBShaper$$Lambda+0x000000001a789d30.run()V+44
> [email protected]
>   j
> jdk.internal.vm.ScopedValueContainer.runWithoutScope(Ljava/lang/Runnable;)V+21
> [email protected]
>   j  jdk.internal.vm.ScopedValueContainer.run(Ljava/lang/Runnable;)V+7
> [email protected]
>   j
> java.lang.ScopedValue$Carrier.runWith(Ljava/lang/ScopedValue$Snapshot;Ljava/lang/Runnable;)V+9
> [email protected]
>   j  java.lang.ScopedValue$Carrier.run(Ljava/lang/Runnable;)V+29
> [email protected]
>   j
> sun.font.HBShaper.shape(Lsun/font/Font2D;Lsun/font/FontStrike;F[FLjava/lang/foreign/MemorySegment;[CLsun/font/GlyphLayout$GVData;IIIILjava/awt/geom/Point2D$Float;II)V+48
> [email protected]
>   j
> sun.font.SunLayoutEngine.layout(Lsun/font/FontStrikeDesc;[FFIILsun/font/TextRecord;ILjava/awt/geom/Point2D$Float;Lsun/font/GlyphLayout$GVData;)V+75
> [email protected]
>
>   etc
>
>
>   While I can reliably reproduce this on our live site I'm unable to with
> an isolated version of Tomcat. But I'm attaching 43 hs_err files and my
> best effort to reproduce it, which will at least duplicate the codepath I'm
> seeing above.
>
>   I appreciate this is probably an OpenJDK issue not an Ubuntu issue but
>   I am not an OpenJDK dev so I'm unable to file a bug with them. I
>   presume Ubuntu can push this upstream.
>
> To manage notifications about this bug go to:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/openjdk-25/+bug/2155650/+subscriptions
>
>

-- 
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu
Bugs, which is subscribed to Ubuntu.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/2155650

Title:
  OpenJDK 25.0.2 SEGV in harfbuzz library on Ubuntu 22.04

To manage notifications about this bug go to:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/openjdk-25/+bug/2155650/+subscriptions


-- 
ubuntu-bugs mailing list
[email protected]
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-bugs

Reply via email to