Hi all,

I can confirm that this issue affected my system when running kernels
7.0.0-31-generic and 7.0.0-34-generic on a Dell Pro laptop with AMD
Radeon graphics.

The primary symptom was that the system would become completely
unresponsive during both restarts and full shutdown/startup cycles. The
display would remain black and the system would not recover without a
forced power reset. Recovery required holding the power button for
approximately 30 seconds, waiting 5 seconds, and then pressing the power
button again to start the system. This behaviour occurred during the
majority of restart and power cycle operations.

Following Krystian's recommendation to test 7.0.0-38-generic (although
the referenced wiki page appears to be empty, so I used my own
installation method), I found that the issue was completely resolved.

To validate the fix, I performed:

10 full shutdown and power-on cycles
10 full system restarts

In every test case, the system either restarted successfully or powered
on normally with a single press of the power button. I was unable to
reproduce the issue while running 7.0.0-38-generic.

Please let me know if I can help with further information / logs, or if
I can contribute to getting this proposed bugfix into "main" :-)


My Rig is as follows:
### System
Machine : Dell Pro 16 PC16255 (Dell Pro Laptops)
Board   : Dell Inc. 18G76C
BIOS    : 1.17.1 (07/31/2026)
CPU     : AMD Ryzen AI 7 350 w/ Radeon 860M, 16 threads, ucode 0xb600037
RAM     : 30Gi
GPU     : AMD Radeon 860M [1002:1114] rev c2, driver: amdgpu
GFX stack: mesa 25.2.8-0ubuntu0.24.04.2, linux-firmware 
20240318.git3b128b60.0ubuntu3.1

### Software
OS      : Ubuntu 24.04.5 LTS (amd64)
Kernel  : 7.0.0-38-generic (pkg 7.0.0-38.38~24.04.4)
Previous: 7.0.0-34-generic
Installed kernels: 7.0.0-31-generic 7.0.0-34-generic 7.0.0-38-generic
Cmdline : BOOT_IMAGE=/vmlinuz-7.0.0-38-generic 
root=/dev/mapper/ubuntu--vg-ubuntu--lv ro quiet splash vt.handoff=7
Tainted : 0
Boot    : UEFI, SecureBoot: enabled
Session : wayland / KDE
DKMS    : none
APT     : proposed pocket enabled


Cheers,
Mike

-- 
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu
Bugs, which is subscribed to Ubuntu.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/2163121

Title:
  [Regression] Laptop fails to power off completely when HDMI is
  connected in kernel 7.0.0-28

To manage notifications about this bug go to:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/2163121/+subscriptions


-- 
ubuntu-bugs mailing list
[email protected]
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-bugs

Reply via email to