I can reproduce this on Ubuntu 24.04.5 LTS with:

- Flatpak 1.14.6-1ubuntu0.1
- Telegram Flatpak 7.2.9
- GNOME Platform 50.4-13
- Runtime Fontconfig 2.17.1
- Host Fontconfig 2.15.0-1.1ubuntu2
- `fonts-ebgaramond-extra` 0.016+git20210310.42d4f9f2-1

Before the workaround, host `fc-match sans-serif` selected Noto Sans.

Inside the Telegram Flatpak, however, both generic `sans-serif` and
`monospace` matched:

`/run/host/fonts/woff/ebgaramond/EBGaramond-Initials.woff`

Repeated Telegram launch attempts faulted in:

`libfontconfig.so.1.16.0 + 0xc24c`

I then moved `/usr/share/fonts/woff/ebgaramond` out of the host font
search path and rebuilt the system and user Fontconfig caches.

Afterward:

- Telegram Flatpak `sans-serif` matched DejaVu Sans.
- Telegram Flatpak `monospace` matched DejaVu Sans Mono.
- The host continued to match Noto Sans.
- Telegram opened successfully.

This is therefore an independent reproduction on Ubuntu 24.04.5 /
Flatpak 1.14.6, and in this case Fontconfig selected a different EB
Garamond WOFF from the same package and directory as the original
report.

Because I excluded the WOFF directory and rebuilt the caches as part of
the same intervention, I have not isolated which of those changes was
necessary. I also have not performed a rollback/rechallenge test.

The result strongly implicates the abnormal WOFF fallback/cache state as
the proximate trigger on this machine, but it does not establish the
underlying Fontconfig/Flatpak mechanism.

Feel free to reach out if any additional diagnostics, command output, or
testing from this machine would be useful.

-- 
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu
Bugs, which is subscribed to Ubuntu.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/2168146

Title:
  Flatpak applications crash in fontconfig when host WOFF fonts are
  exposed

To manage notifications about this bug go to:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/flatpak/+bug/2168146/+subscriptions


-- 
ubuntu-bugs mailing list
[email protected]
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-bugs

Reply via email to