Public bug reported:

Hi,
"I ask for a friend" :-P Sorry I had to say that for the bad pun it is.

But really I got passed the info that at the upgrade of 24.04 to 26.04
when Ubuntu pro was enabled with esm apps and having some packages from
ESM in 24.04 then on upgrade those are listed as

"""
The following unofficial packages are currently installed:

...
libass9..............Installed from: UbuntuESMApps"
...
"""

We can be sure this exists in 24.04 and 26.04

```
 libass9 | 1:0.17.1-2build1 | noble/universe    | amd64, arm64, armhf, i386, 
ppc64el, riscv64, s390x
 libass9 | 1:0.17.4-2       | resolute/universe | amd64, amd64v3, arm64, armhf, 
i386, ppc64el, riscv64, s390x
```

And with pro enabled on 26.04 this would be on the new ESM Apps too:

Here my 26.04 output

```
apt policy libass9
libass9:
  Installed: 1:0.17.4-2ubuntu0.1~esm1
  Candidate: 1:0.17.4-2ubuntu0.1~esm1
  Version table:
 *** 1:0.17.4-2ubuntu0.1~esm1 510
        510 https://esm.ubuntu.com/apps/ubuntu resolute-apps-security/main 
amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     1:0.17.4-2 500
        500 http://de.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu resolute/universe amd64 Packages
```

Therefore we'd expect this to upgrade either way (pro not enabled in
26.04 would still get 1:0.17.4-2  and being enabled would make it get
1:0.17.4-2ubuntu0.1~esm1.


Now there are two aspects one need to look at in this context of "they are not 
third-party":
1. those extra repositories are as official as the archive, u-r-u needs to 
learn about that and not mis-detect and report that
2. I have not checked this one, but I hope one does not need 
--allow-third-party to keep ESM repos enabled, as -again- they are not third 
party

This is a code change in u-r-u eventually, but the problem scope is very
much for the team behind the Ubuntu pro client (no more us :-/, but I
tried to file and raise awareness of it at least) - therefore I'm also
adding a ubuntu-advantage-tools bug.

** Affects: ubuntu-advantage-tools (Ubuntu)
     Importance: Undecided
         Status: New

** Affects: ubuntu-release-upgrader (Ubuntu)
     Importance: Undecided
         Status: New

** Also affects: ubuntu-advantage-tools (Ubuntu)
   Importance: Undecided
       Status: New

-- 
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu
Bugs, which is subscribed to Ubuntu.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/2168979

Title:
  Ubuntu Pro repositories should not be considered third party

To manage notifications about this bug go to:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubuntu-advantage-tools/+bug/2168979/+subscriptions


-- 
ubuntu-bugs mailing list
[email protected]
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-bugs

Reply via email to