I'm not 100% sure how gnome-games is put together on a default installation
cd of ubuntu, but I think if the gnome-games package maintainer changes the
default theme to the working one in the package then it'll be fixed on all
new Ubuntu installs.

You can use packages.ubuntu.com to find the gnome-games package. You'll be
able to find the maintainer's email from there, ping him and see what he
thinks.

Regards,
Alex (Jackflap)