2009/7/3 Mark Shuttleworth <m...@ubuntu.com>:

> It is easy and fast to detect the messaging indicator (by design, so that
> apps can check and behave accordingly). I agree that upstream will want to
> think carefully about how to behave when the indicator isn't there, and we
> should support them in that, but focus our design conversation on the
> standard experience in Ubuntu which is the one with the messaging indicator.
>
> Mark

To begin with, I was very happy with the indicator applet. But now I've tested
it with a few more users, and most doesn't notice it. Actually, I feel
that a new
IM conversation should popup a chat window directly, as long as you're set
as Available in FUSA.

Or, if possible, it would be nice if users on a spesific group or groups would
popup automatically, while all others would not. All messages should be
indicated in the applet though. In an office environment, for instance, IM is
great for asking questions while you're on the phone with a customer. I'd like
something a bit more instant than something resembling a mail notification
icon.

That is; all messages should be indicated in the applet. Messages from users
in the Boss-group, should popup immediately regardless of my status. Messages
from users in the Colleagues-group should popup immediately as long as I'm
set as Available, but for everyone else it should not popup.

That would be nice! I think we do need some configuration options for this
though. Peoples preferences may vary wildly.

In any case, the icon for Indicator applet should be more visible when there
is something to notice, but please don't use animations. There are too many
of those as it is.

Thanks,

Jo-Erlend