Le vendredi 08 avril 2011 à 19:04 +0930, Jason Warner a écrit :
> Thanks for proposing this. I'm particularly interested in any and all
> speed improvements that could come from this...and if we have less
> overhead in general, great!
If you're using GNOME, loading a whole GNOME session when starting GDM
won't induce much overhead, since you'll need to load all of those apps
and libraries anyway in the login phase. It might even be better to read
those files early since it makes sure ureadahead will catch them.

And it ensures that once you've typed your password, the login is fast
(less disk reads): since at that point we know you're sitting in front
of your keyboard, better spend less time in that phase, and more in the
boot per se.

Of course only testing can decide which one is faster, but (for GNOME
users) I don't think that's a priori so obvious.

Regards