On lun., 2011-06-06 at 02:18 -0400, Eric Appleman wrote:
> Hi, I was wondering under which circumstances the GTK3 gnome-panel can
> be used as a fallback for Unity or GNOME-Shell.

Hi Eric,

We are trying to build a coherent environment for ubuntu and GNOME
upstream experience.

Consequently, the plan (and what's already in oneiric) is:
* Unity and Unity-2d are installed on the CD, Unity-2d being the
fallback of Unity. In addition, each one have a separate session in gdm
(and probably will have in lightdm as well) to start them directly.

Note that this will be the case for finale only if we can have the full
unity-2d accessibility stack working in time.

* gnome-shell and gnome-panel are available in the repository.
gnome-panel can be installed separately from gnome-shell and each one
have as well a separate session in gdm/ligthdm to start them directly.
gnome-panel is the fallback of gnome-shell. (gnome-shell pulls
gnome-panel).

> I'd like to know if Unity 2D will also be used for for FailsafeX sessions.

Not sure about that one as different people means different things about
"FailsafeX" sessions. if it's session without 3D acceleration, right,
that's what is already the case in oneiric. FailsafeX as "no driver has
been able to be loaded/X can't start (bulletproof X), that's more a
question for the Xorg guys :)

Cheers,
Didier