On 2011-10-04 11:24, Sebastien Bacher wrote:
> I think we should work on making the upstream "region" capplet do
> what we need and deprecate language-selector in its favor if we can
> ;-)

I'd like to share some thoughts on how to proceed with this task in a
way that would make it easier to prevent that desired functionality is
lost in the process.

One of the language related changes in Natty was the conceptual
conversion of the lists for selecting the user language from locale
choosers to language choosers. The idea is that the lists should reflect
the available (= installed) translations, and it was implemented both in
language-selector and in the Ubuntu version of the GDM 2 language chooser.

The related code is in Oneiric available through two Ubuntu specific
patches in accountsservice. As one of the first steps now I would
suggest that those patches are modified to fit g-c-c, and that GNOME
starts using accountsservice builds that include those modified patches.
Among other things I think it would be a smooth way to start making
upstream g-c-c provide the functionality of the Ubuntu g-c-c patch
52_ubuntu_language_list_mods.patch which then could be dropped.

These are a few other matters I think need to be addressed/taken into
consideration:

* accountsservice should provide the properties and methods needed to
store both the language and the regional formats preferences.

* It has been suggested that PAM is used to set the language/locale
environment at login.

* g-c-c needs a control for maintaining the LANGUAGE list. Possibly that
control should be provided in a separate tab for 'advanced' settings.

* controls for handling inputh methods (ibus etc.) and fontconfig.

--
Gunnar Hjalmarsson
https://launchpad.net/~gunnarhj