On 12 October 2011 13:18, David Barth <david.ba...@canonical.com> wrote:
> Which I think, under further guidance of the Design team, we could turn into
> a mode whereby results are only retrieved if the user unfolds the section
> containing suggestions.
>
> At the moment, search queries are passed to all scopes in advance, to let
> them retrieve results as fast as possible and provide feedback for the user
> as he keeps typing. That is the case for both scopes working on local
> content, as well as online ones.
>
> We can look into differentiating them for O+1 (now Precise). However I'm
> afraid that the only way to solve that particular privacy concern is to
> remove the scope altogether for now:
>
> apt-get remove --purge unity-scope-musicstores
>
> as also mentioned by Jason in this thread.
>
> Note however (and I think Mikkel mentioned it as well) that no queries are
> made if you search from the Home dash lens. If you hit <SUPER> and type your
> query, it won't go hit the Ubuntu One servers. Unity only makes queries to
> the Music store if you explicitly search into the Music lens itself.

Alternatively, could the entire online store "library" be cached to
user's computers? This should speed up search and there shouldn't be a
privacy concern. It could be similar to what app-install-data does.
But how much space would this data take?

(Drifting offtopic, would it make sense for the Music Store to be part
of Software Center?)

I suspect that some people complaining would also object to the Apps
lens showing Apps Available for Download even though no information is
being sent to the web there, just because of the extra clutter. And
it's especially annoying to show those downloadable apps to users who
don't have admin privileges.

Jeremy