Progress has been made, and this is a short update.

Ubuntu 11.10 was shipped with a language chooser in lightdm-gtk-greeter.
Thanks, Robert!

Unfortunately - due to time restraints - the chooser is currently broken
as regards Ubuntu; see https://launchpad.net/bugs/868346

A proposed fix is available in my PPA at
https://launchpad.net/~gunnarhj/+archive/misc
I hope it will be uploaded as an update of Ubuntu 11.10. You can help
increase the chances for that by installing the PPA package and let us
know via a comment on bug 868346 whether it works to your satisfaction.

Update on other things that were mentioned in
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-desktop/2011-July/003165.html:

* Shared scripts
The shared scripts I talked about are now provided by the
accountsservice package.

* Storing of language settings
In 12.04 we will probably drop ~/.profile as the storing place. PAM has
been mentioned as an appropriate tool for actually setting the
locale/language environment, and the data will probably be stored in a
PAM config file or accountsservice or both.

--
Gunnar Hjalmarsson
https://launchpad.net/~gunnarhj