Blueprint:

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/desktop-p-color-management-next-steps

In Oneiric we have introduced color management. We have at least basic functionality now. You can take existing ICC profiles and assign them to devices (AFAIK monitors, printers, scanners, webcams) and then the devices are appropriately corrected. The profile assignments are done via the Color capplet of GNOME Control Center, the management and distribution of the profiles via colord, applications use liblcms1 and liblcms2 to apply the ICC profiles.

In Precise we need to complete and improve the infrastructure: ArgyllCMS needs to be made distro-ready and added so that color calibration devices get supported, libcms1 needs to be replaced by libcms2, as the former is buggy and not maintained any more, and a color management UI must get added to the Common Print Dialog.

We also need to determine who will maintain the color management stack in Ubuntu.

   Till