On 20/11/2011 20:48, Jo-Erlend Schinstad wrote:
> Considering last nights thread about keyboard use, I thought I'd start a topic
> with ideas for keyboard improvements.
>
> This thread is about ideas for improving the utilization of the Menu key.
> That's
> the one on the keyboard between Alt Gr and right ctrl, in case you had
> forgotten
> the entire button. :) It currently has only one function; to open a context
> menu
> within an app. This is very wasteful. I suggest it be used like this:
>
> * Pressing and releasing menu: same as now. Open apps context menu.
> * Shift+menu: replaces F10 and opens the first menu on the focused app's
> menubar.
> * Menu+F-x: Open the menu for the Nth indicator.
> * Menu+num: Open the Nth launcher entry's quicklist.
> * Menu+envelope (email)-button: open the envelope (message) menu. That makes
> sense, huh?
> * Menu+Esc: open the power cog menu.
> * Menu+print screen: open the Take Screenshot dialog.
>
> I'm sure there might be other useful shortcuts, like having a shortcut to
> system
> preferences, which after, all can be considered a menu.
>
> What do you think?

The Thinkpad E220S (and other laptops in the same range) have no menu key. In
its place is the print screen key. If we're going to add functionality to this
key, we're going to have to duplicate the shortcut to other keys as well, or
break the experience on this range of laptops (and other keyboards which might
not have a menu key).

I think it's also fairly common to have the menu key used as the Compose key or
Multi_Key, so if we're going to use the Menu key for these use cases, we're
going to have to forgo that use-case.

--
Kind regards,
Loong Jin