Le 27/01/2012 03:16, Andrew Starr-Bochicchio a écrit :
On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 8:04 PM, Marc Deslauriers
<marc.deslauri...@canonical.com>  wrote:
Of course, the correct way to solve this issue is far more complicated
than just removing a package from the archive, it require solving
bugs, bringing new code in Unity while avoiding unwanted side effects
on compiz and basically requires more manpower.
If someone would step up and fix CCSM so a novice user can't mess up
their desktop with two mouse clicks, we wouldn't be having this
discussion.
Just what would that look like? As someone who hasn't run into these
issues, it's hard to tell from this thread what would be enough for
people to consider CCSM "fixed." A lot of the opposition to CCSM seems
to be based on the nature of the tool itself rather than any specific
bugs (though judging from Launchpad it certainly has its share of
those). Are there specific plugins or options that are considered
harmful or especially problematic? Are these found in the core plugins
that are installed by default? Perhaps they should be broken out into
one of the universe plugin-extras packages? Or are they in one of the
universe packages already? Maybe we could better split the plugin
packages?

They are already split sincce Oneiric. For plugins that are "officially suppported" upstream, we only install those that are used with the unity session right now (25 plugins exactly). Those are installed by compiz-plugins-default and compiz-plugins-main-default, the others are in compiz-plugins and compiz-plugins-main which are not installed by default (but are still there if you upgraded your machine from a version pre-oneiric).

- Since it's settings are separate from Unity a "unity --reset"
doesn't fix it, you have to blow away .compiz or some other dotfile
directories to get a desktop back.
Is this true? I just tested this by exporting my compiz settings using
CCSM and running a "unity --reset" All my custom settings seem to have
been cleared. Using CCSM, I was then easily able to re-import my
backed up settings and restore them all. The unity python wrapper
seems to try and wipe all your compiz settings if --reset is used. It
calls:

subprocess.Popen(["gconftool-2", "--recursive-unset", "/apps/compiz-1"])

Is there a bug in unity's --reset option where this doesn't work in
some cases?  Should the option to reset all options to their default
be made more prominent in CCSM?

No, Jorge wasn't quite right on this one, unity --reset indeed reset the whole compiz settings, not just the unity one

- I'm sure at UDS you've seen didrocks show you one of the ways it
breaks even when using parts of it that shouldn't break.
I'll take his word on this.

I'd love to hear some more specific issues.

I've added some on my other post in this thread.

Cheers,
Didier