On 19 April 2012 07:19, Jo-Erlend Schinstad
<joerlend.schins...@ubuntu.com> wrote:
> This page was marked out of date nearly four years ago:
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuOnMac. Why does it even exist? I assume
> it's simply because noone has the overview to systematically make sure
> pages like that is either updated or deleted.

It seems to me that there is a good reason to take a different
approach to user help than to contributor documentation as regards
deletion of material.

There are quite a lot of pages on wiki.ubuntu.com that are out of date
but that have specifically not been deleted because they can have
historical value. So, looking back over the development of Ubuntu
historically can sometimes be useful, to remember why something
happened in a particular way. In my previous email on this thread, I
dug out a specification created in 2005, for example. It was
implemented over 5 years ago, and hasn't been touched since then, but
keeping it around reminds us why we did something and can be used as a
reference if a similar discussion crops up in the future. (I'm not
saying this necessarily applies to the page you've referenced above,
the explanation may be a less sophisticated one, like no one has had
the chance to merge the information into whatever database is now used
for such things, or simply that it should be deleted but hasn't yet
been.)

That's not the case for user help, there is no point keeping around a
page which can only be applied to a deprecated version of Ubuntu on
help.ubuntu.com. So evaluating the issue of deleting information using
a single process isn't helpful.

--
Matthew East
http://www.mdke.org