On 28 September 2012 03:49, Sebastien Bacher <seb...@ubuntu.com> wrote:
> One topic for UDS, since GNOME is talking about dropping their code for
> fallback to just use gnome-shell, we should make sure we stop relying on
> that (it would also be good to stop relying on not so maintained code)
>
> Things I can see in that category:
> - turn the "bluetooth indicator" (patch over fallback-session code from
> upstream) to a proper indicator
> - turn the "keyboard indicator" (the code we patch is going away in GNOME
> 3.6) to a proper indicator
> - deal with disk mounting in unity (we use the GNOME fallback-session code)
>
> (It would be good to have design input on the indicator before we start if
> we are going to do that, if we rewrite them we can as well do it in a way
> which improves the design)

Hi, this topic was discussed in Boston a few days ago. While a final
decision hasn't been made, it does indeed sound like GNOME would like
to kill the "fallback" session in 3.8 or 3.10. The GNOME developers
may officially support a set of GNOME Shell extensions that bring back
some of the GNOME2 feel (applications menu, places menu, alternative
tab, etc.).

Part of "killing" means that they plan to drop a lot of support code
and change the remaining code to improve performance and reduce the
maintenance burden. I expressed my concerns about how this would
affect Unity and requested that they come up with a list of proposed
changes by UDS at the end of this month. You can see specific examples
by looking at the blocker bugs for https://bugzilla.gnome.org/682858 .

I'm also worried that the list will be too long and the Ubuntu Desktop
Team will decide to stick with
gnome-control-center/gnome-settings-daemon 3.6 so that the work can be
stretched out over two cycles. That may very well mean we would be
stuck with GNOME Shell 3.6 too. I think this is a strong motivator to
look into splitting off the Ubuntu control-center/settings-daemon
early this cycle.

Jeremy