I see where you're coming from and I don't want to take up much of anyone's
time, but I can't help but worry about an impending integration nightmare
as you continue to dawdle with GNOME's APIs. Do we know what is going to
happen with Ubuntu-specific system utilities with 14.10 and Unity 8? In
particular, I'm curious about Software Centre / Updater, Ubuntu One,
Startup Disk Creator, Jockey and Ubuntu Online Accounts. Incidentally,
those are quite central to Ubuntu. Arguably more so than the Unity shell,
itself.

Are these going to be replaced with new-style applications built on the
Ubuntu SDK, or are we hanging on to them for a while? If the latter, how
long do we expect to go on with GUIs that were basically built for GNOME 2
running under Unity and (an increasingly out of date) GNOME 3.x? What does
this mean for Unity's compatibility with modern GNOME 3 applications, or
for anyone who still wants to run GNOME 3.12 in Ubuntu?

As I see it, the more you dawdle with GNOME's APIs, the more those core
applications which are built on them are going to bit-rot, and while
several of them already seem clunky and weird, at some point you'll have a
real problem bringing them up to date without some serious, expensive, and
potentially very rushed, rewriting.

--
Dylan