Oliver Grawert left word to file Wishlist Bugs for an Unity8 File Manager. Following are File Manager features I hope Unity8 will preserve:

1) Tabbed Browsing
CTRL+T opens a new tab, CTRL+W closes a tab

2) Location Bar Display instead of clickable buttons
In ubuntu-12.04 Nautilus, this is set with: org.gnome.nautilus.preferences.always-use-location-entry = true

3) CTRL+L should highlight addressbar and move keyboard focus to addressbar. ALT+HOME should take user to Home folder.

4) Advanced Permissions Menu for file properties (e.g., drwxrwxrwx)
In ubuntu-12.04 Nautilus, this is set with: org.gnomenautilus.preferences.show-advanced-permissions. This great feature was removed from nautilus after 12.04. Users should have full control over read, write, execute permissions for each file and folder. Nautilus' GUI no longer allows user individual control over execute permissions since advanced-permissions-menu was removed.

5) List View as default
Ability to set list-view as default.
In ubuntu-12.04 Nautilus, this is set with: org.gnome.nautilus.preferences.default-folder-viewer = list-view

6) Customizable Visible Columns
In ubuntu-12.04 Nautilus, this is set with: org.gnome.nautilus.list-view.default-visible-columns = Name, Size, Type, Date Modified, Owner, Permissions

7) under the "Owner" Column in list-view, the column should list the user's Username, not "Me" After ubuntu-12.04 Nautilus, the owner is listed as "Me" in Nautilus. This is irritating. It is more useful to see the username. So if username is "Sam", the Owner column should display "Sam" and not "Me"

7) under the "Permissions" column in list-view, use "drwxrwxrwx" format for permissions (just like Nautilus does in ubuntu-12.04)

8) I always found the ability to manually adjust the width of the side-pane useful. In Ubuntu-12.04, the default width is way too narrow. I always use dconf editor to make the width wider In ubuntu-12.04 Nautilus, this is set with: org.gnome.nautilus.window-state = 185

ENHANCEMENTS THAT WOULD BE NICE (Nautilus irritations):
9) It would be nice to be able to set what folder Nautilus opens to by default.
ubuntu-12.04 nautilus always opens to Home by default.

10) PLEASE allow users to remove the "Recent" entry in the side-pane under the "Computer" heading. I never use "Recent" and don't want that to show in the side-pane stack. After ubuntu-12.04, Nautilus shows a "Recent" heading at the top of the side-pane stack.

11) When a user saves a file, have the file manager open to a reasonable location. ubuntu-12.04 Nautilus opens to "Recently Used." This is completely useless. Nobody saves files to "Recently Used." It would be nice if it auto-opened to a user-specified location. If it opened to Home folder, this would be okay.

12) It would be nice to have a better thought out pattern to what sub-windows of the file manager get keyboard focus when the manager is first opened. For example, the keyboard focus should always start with the side-pane. Pressing "Tab" should move focus to the content-sub-window. Currently in ubuntu-12.04 when keyboard focus is in the side-pane, pressing Tab moves the focus to the Location-Bar. This is stupid because user can always press CTRL+L to get to the location-bar. So pressing Tab should take user to the content-sub-window (where the files are). Accordingly, pressing SHIFT-TAB should take the user back to the side-pane. I like to use "Tab" and "Arrow Keys" to move around without having to rely on the mouse. This needs to remain consistent: if the focus in on the side-pane, pressing TAB always moves focus to content-sub-window. And if content-sub-window has focus pressing SHIFT-TAB should always move focus to side-pane.

13) Bookmarks are my most frequently visited places. It would be nice to have them appear first in the side-pane stack (like they do in ubuntu-12.04 nautilus). After ubuntu-12.04, Bookmarks appear far down in the side-pane stack.

14) please don't spread menu-settings across global-menus and a settings-button in the toolbar. This is so problematic. I prefer all menu-settings show as global-menus. I don't want a settings-button in the toolbar at all.

10) It would be nice to be able to remove entries from the side-pane. For example, under the "Computer" heading, why can't I remove/hide "Documents" "Pictures" "Videos" etc from appearing in the side-pane?

Nautilus has a lot of nice features. Hopefully you will keep all the good-stuff Nautilus has. I strongly prefer Nautilus to Windows-Explorer (Windows-OS) or Finder (Mac-OS) for example.