On 17 April 2014 16:22, Marco Trevisan <marco.trevi...@canonical.com> wrote:

> It's also true that at some point we have to deliver that, and put it in
> production in a point release, in order to get things to work in the
> real world. So, the point is: if an user prefer to keep the status-quo
> until the converged experience is not completed, then we suggest to
> stick on the LTS, which will stay in shape for a loooong period.

Sure; as long as you're absolutely certain that there will be no problems
with LTS-to-LTS upgrades, then do in-place development. Of course, when the
development model is based upon removing things people care about and use
every day, then the next two years are going to be an everlasting torrent
of negativity. We know this from experience, don't we? Has there ever been
an example of replacing a default app that hasn't resulted in FUD, panic
and anger in the Ubuntu community?

On the other hand, look at elementaryOS. People are enthusiastic,
optimistic and impressed. The only negative responses I've read, is that
some people think it looks too much like MacOS. They've started with an
empty desktop and then add new components that are designed for eOS. If you
want to use that system for everyday purposes, then you'll have to install
non-eOS apps for that, but that's ok. And you can install eOS-apps in
Ubuntu. That's cool too. No reason to be angry, but plenty of reasons to be
curious and enthusiastic. I think Ubuntu is in a very comparable situation.
We want a new desktop and on top of that, we want new system services and
apps that are designed for Ubuntu, for as many things as possible. It'll be
a plain desktop with only a few default apps. After all, it makes perfect
sense that a system designed to handle both phones and desktops doesn't
come preloaded with lots of desktop-only apps. If you want to use it for
you everyday life, you'll have to install stuff. I think people are ok with
that and that a lot of people would want to choose to live in the exciting
world of the New Ubuntu Desktop.

But LTS users, like an enterprise, might wish the next LTS upgrade to not
be such a radical step. After all, two years is not an enormous amount of
time and time is necessary when you want to build confidence. Allowing the
current desktop to stay alive in maintenance mode into the next LTS will
allow people to choose between excitement and confidence and I think that
can be of some importance. I really do think that developing the new
desktop in-place rather than in parallel is a huge gamble. Because let's be
honest. Nobody knows what 16.04 is going to look like. Right? Well, that's
a decision.

Well, that's my views anyway. Thanks for reading.