On 2017-10-22 14:58, Mitsuya Shibata wrote:
I guess we need to patch gnome-desktop if Ubuntu decides to use
different default input methods for certain languages.

What significance does the default input source have on GNOME? Are
we affected atm? I'm asking because my understanding is that this
is determined in Ubuntu by the installer and language-selector
(pkg_depends).

This table used to detect which input source is used at a locale.
https://developer.gnome.org/gnome-desktop3/stable/gnome-desktop3-Language-Utilities.html#gnome-get-input-source-from-locale

Mainly used is at "Input Source Chooser" on System Settings / Region
& Language / Input Sources menu. The chooser get default input source
type (xkb or ibus) and engine (jp or anthy) for specified locale.

However Input Source Chooser will retrieve "valid", normally equal
to "installed", engine from ibus instance, and filter out not
installed engine. That is, if ibus-kkc and/or ibus-anthy are not
installed, Input Source Chooser doesn't show up these choices (I
guess).

In System Settings context, if gnome_get_input_source_from_locale()
will return "ibus-mozc", there is a possibility to drop
ubuntu_ibus_configs.patch from gnome-settings-daemon package.

Thanks Mitsuya!

What's your opinion on mozc vs. kkc? Would it be fine to switch to ibus-kkc as default for Japanese in Ubuntu 18.04, or are there reasons to 'fight' for ibus-mozc? Please see the discussion at <https://bugzilla.gnome.org/787664>.

--
Gunnar Hjalmarsson
https://launchpad.net/~gunnarhj