Ok, Laney. Some comments which may or may not help:

The first chunk is due to new upstream code, where I simply append the modifier
to the label if present. Similarly to here:

https://git.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-desktop/ubuntu/+source/gnome-desktop3/tree/debian/patches/ubuntu_language.patch

(Life would be a bit easier if upstream could attend to this six years old
issue: https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-desktop/issues/50 )

Then I drop the tweak of the language_response() function, which was the
culprit as regards ignoring the modifier of the locale name. That tweak was
added by Tim as part of the code for installing language packs from g-c-c:

https://git.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-desktop/ubuntu/+source/gnome-control-center/commit/debian/patches/52_region_language.patch?id=39e7ff32

I'm not sure which problem Tim solved with that, but OTOH the langpack install
feature is disabled, so dropping that tweak ought to be harmless.
--
https://code.launchpad.net/~gunnarhj/ubuntu/+source/gnome-control-center/+git/gnome-control-center/+merge/365920
Your team Ubuntu Desktop is requested to review the proposed merge of