Ubuntu 18.04 LTS shipped with OpenJDK 10 with the intent to update to
OpenJDK 11, which unlike OpenJDK 10 is covered by LTS upstream
security support that is more suitable for the lifetime of an
Ubuntu LTS.

Both OpenJDK 10 and 11 dropped some APIs, got stricter with the
javadoc tools, and had some other incompatible build changes, which
are mostly fixed now in our packages for the upcoming 19.04 release.
Instead of backporting single patches for 250+ packages, we decided to
backport the packages to 18.04 LTS and 18.10 where necessary.

The backports are currently available in the bionic-proposed and
cosmic-proposed pockets.  We are planning to copy these packages to
both the security and updates pockets in the last week of March.

Please test these packages (see the end of the email for a list) and
file new bug reports for any issue with these planned updates,
subscribing the openjdk-11-transition team to the bug report.  As an
alternative, feel free to contact us on the #ubuntu-java IRC channel.

WARNING: In order to resolve any issues found, we might need to remove
some packages from -proposed or SRU them at a lower version number, so
please don’t do the tests in your production environment; and be ready
to downgrade packages if they are not propagated to the updates and
security pockets.

It is of particular importance to get more feedback on end-user
applications, which may be affected in ways not identifiable in
automated testing.  These packages are free of all known regressions;
but it’s possible there are unknown regressions, which is why we are
asking for your help.  Please check that your favorite applications
continue to work.  Some application packages that are known to be
affected by OpenJDK API changes, and have had some manual testing but
warrant additional testing are: jabref, jedit, jhove, libreoffice,
mobile-atlas-creator, netbeans, tomcat8, tomcat9, sweethome3d, and
virtualbox.

The uploads themselves are tracked in the following bug reports:

https://launchpad.net/bugs/1784196
https://launchpad.net/bugs/1814133
https://launchpad.net/bugs/1818647
https://launchpad.net/bugs/1819448

The updates include the OpenJDK 11 packages itself, and the packages
found at
https://bugs.launchpad.net/~openjdk-11-transition/+packagebugs

OpenJDK 8 in 18.04 LTS (bionic) remains in the community-supported
universe component. We will provide OpenJDK 8 updates for 18.04 LTS
as long as we provide them for the 16.04 LTS (xenial) release.

On behalf of the OpenJDK 11 transition team,
Matthias Klose

--
List of packages in -proposed:

activemq
afterburner.fx
android-framework-23
android-platform-art
android-platform-build
android-platform-dalvik
android-platform-development
android-platform-external-boringssl
android-platform-external-libselinux
android-platform-external-libunwind
android-platform-frameworks-base
android-platform-frameworks-data-binding
android-platform-frameworks-native
android-platform-libcore
android-platform-libnativehelper
android-platform-system-core